Supervisors’ Training Centre (STC) was established in 1922, as 'Kanchrapara Technical School’ under joint venture of the then Bengal Government & Indian Railways. Since, there was no infrastructure for practical training of Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur, Howrah, then the practical training was imparted to the students of Bengal Engineering College at Kanchrapara Workshop. Later on, the ‘Kanchrapara Technical School’ was renamed as ‘Supervisors’ Training Centre’ with the increase of Railway Training Activities.
Training of SSE and JE, recruited through Railway Recruitment Board and JE Intermediate Apprentice (Departmental & Promotional quota) of Mechanical & Electrical Department from Eastern Railway and East Central Railway are being conducted by STC / KPA.
As per instruction of HQ (CPO/ER), the training of Supervisors for Electrical discipline of all categories has been commenced w.e.f. 13.05.2014 as temporary measure.
BTC is also a part of this Institute which imparts training to the Trainee Skilled Artisans (Mech. / Elect.) recruited through RRB / Compassionate Ground.