Kolkata, November 27, 2020
In some media, a news has appeared on 27.11.2020 describing as if Railway is responsible for the delay in opening of Majerhat Road Overbridge (ROB). Following points indicating up-do-date development/status of re-building of Majerhat ROB are placed hereunder for clear appreciation of the problem.
1) Majerhat ROB collapsed in September, 2018 apparently due to maintenance failure. The structure was under the maintenance of PWD, Govt of WB. Initially the Government of West Bengal decided to rebuild the ROB with bow string steel girders, but in January 2019 they changed the decision to rebuild it as a cable stayed type ROB. It led to loss of time by more than four (4) months.
2) Metro Railway Joka - B B D Bag alignment is parallel to the proposed ROB at Majerhat. As per planning made by the engineers of the Government of West Bengal, north-end approach of the proposed ROB was infringing with the Metro Railway alignment. In spite of repeated requests by ER to get the nod of RVNL/Metro regarding infringement of proposed Majerhat ROB before finalizing the alignment of Majerhat ROB, it was delayed by PWD. The matter was at last resolved with the intervention of Chief Secretary of Government of West Bengal, which led to loss of time by more than one & half months.
3) The draft design & drawings of the super structure submitted by the PWD, Government of West Bengal to Railway had multiple (29 Nos.) technical shortcomings. Ultimately, in a meeting held on 4th & 5th July, 2019 by Railways with the foreign designers engaged by the Government of West Bengal and the engineers of PWD, the issue was finally resolved. The final design & drawings for the super structure of the ROB were submitted by the PWD to Railways after about one month of the above meeting.
4) In order to avoid delay, PWD engineers were requested to attend the office of Chief Bridge Engineer/Eastern Railway on 4.11.2019 to comply with the observations made in connection with erection and the launching scheme after a thorough scrutiny thereof. The concerned officials from the PWD finally complied with the observations on 22.11.2019. on 22.11.2019 itself all the drawings & designs have been taken back by the officials of the PWD from the Railway Office for submission of the final drawings as per extant practice for approval of Railway.
5) State PWD on 27.11.2019 submitted 22 drawings on the launching scheme to Railway. After scrutiny by Railway, the number of drawings for the launching scheme was increased from 17 to 22. Railway has approved the designs and all
these 22 drawings on 28.11.2019 and PWD was requested to take away the approved drawings for filling of Commissioner Railway Safety application etc.
6) The Commissioner Railway Safety (CRS) application for erection & launching of girder was submitted by the state authority to DRM/Sealdah on 2.12.2019. DRM/Sealdah has filed the Commissioner Railway Safety (CRS) application for erection & launching of girders to Commissioner Railway Safety, Eastern Circle on 4.12.2019. Commissioner Railway Safety Eastern Circle’s approval was accorded on 28.2.2020 with some stipulations.
7) The final drawings of the bearings were submitted by State Govt. to Railways on 26.08.2020 and were approved by this Railway on the same day.
8) Joint Safety Certificate received from State Govt on 27.11.2020 and submitted to CRS EC on date after signature of Railway Authority. State Govt. Has also been informed in writing on date that all statutory formalities regarding the ROB involving this Railway have been completed and they are now at liberty to take further action for arranging its opening for public.
It may be appreciated that nothing was left pending with Eastern Railway and there was no delay on the part of the Railway. Eastern Railway is always keen to complete job in coordination with all the agencies associated with construction of Majerhat ROB including PWD, Govt of WB and has taken all steps for early completion of the work.