Tatkal Service of Reservation
For genuine / needy passengers who could not reserve their accommodation well in advance, Eastern Railway has introduced Tatkal Sewa (Instant Reservation), the main features of which are as under:-
1. Provision of identity card has been deleted and normal rules of ticketing shall apply.
2. The Tatkal Charges have been fixed as a percentage of fare at the rate of 10% of basic fare for second class and 30% of basic fare for all other classes subject to minimum and maximum as given in the table below :-
Class of Travel
Minimum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)
Maximum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)
AC Chair Car
AC 3 Tier
AC 2 Tier
3. The above charges will be levied uniformly both in peak period and non - peak periods.
4. Tatkal tickets will be issued for actual distance of travel, instead of end to end, subject to the distance restriction applicable to the train. The same tatkal berth/seat may be booked in multiple legs till preparation of charts. At the time of preparation of charts, unutilized portion may be released to the General RAC /Waiting list passengers
5. Tatkal facility will be introduced in Executive Class of Satabdi Express trains also by earmarking 10% of the accommodation available i.e. 5 seats per coach.
6. The reservation under this scheme will commence at 8:00 hrs. Tatal Ticket is available TWO DAYS IN ADVANCE excluding the day of journey.
7. The reservation under this scheme can be sought by paying the full fare and no Concessional ticket may be allowed under this scheme.
8. A flat refund of 25% of total fare charged on the ticket, excluding Tatkal Charges may be granted on cancellation of confirmed Tatkal Ticket, which are presented for cancellation up to 24 hrs. before the schedule departure of the train. Therefore, no refund will be permissible on the reservation made under the Tatkal Scheme in case the coach in which accommodation under Tatkal scheme has been earmarked, is not attached and the accommodation has been provided to the Tatkal Passengers, in the normal train service in the same class. However, full refund of fare and Tatkal charges will be granted on the tickets booked under the scheme in the following circumstances:-
(a) If the train is delayed by more the 3 hrs. from the train originating stations.
(b) In case of non - attachment of coach in which Tatkal Accommodation has been earmarked and the passengers has not been provided alternative accommodation in the same class.
(c) If the passenger has been accommodated in the lower class and does not want to travel in case the passenger travels in lower class, the passengers will be given refund of difference of fare and also the difference of Tatkal charges, if any.