Brief History of Liluah Workshop
- The East Indian Railway Company established a Railway Carriage & Wagon Workshop at Howrah in the year 1863. In the year 1900, it was shifted to its present location at Liluah.The workshop is 114 years old and had celebrated its centenary year in 2000.The workshop is located in the industrial hub of Howrah district, by the side of river Hooghly.It is spread over an area of 2.99 lakh Sq m having a covered area of 1.05 lakh Sq M.The total sanctioned staff strength is 10282 (as on 01.01.14).
- The workshop was established for undertaking Periodic Overhauling of carriage and wagon stock. At present, the main activity of Liluah workshop is Periodic Overhauling and Intermediate Overhauling of AC & Non-AC Coaches.It is one of the 3 pioneer Workshop on IR to do POH/IOH of LHB Coaches. Shop also undertake POH of Wagon and is the only Shop on ER to give POH of BVZI & BLC Wagon.
- The existing layout of Liluah Workshop does not provide room for further expansion as is bound on two (North & South) sides by water bodies (North and South tanks), by a municipal road on East and Howrah-Burdwan Mainline on West side. The covered area has virtually reached saturation point. As a result, despite the requirement to expand the volume of activities in Liluah, it is no longer feasible to add covered space.